Tuesday, August 22, 2006

NYC

After reading about this violent subway incident, I began wondering why it is that we are moving back to NYC. Sadly, terrorism is the least of our worries.

At the same time, I am excited about the prospect of running into David Rees on the subway, or at least getting a chance to hear him talk some time.

That's the thing about living in NYC, I guess. You are precariously balanced at all times between scary, unstable people committing weird and desperate acts of violence -- and friends so smart and brilliant and variously accomplished that your meager life of school-teaching and twin-raising feels vaguely insufficient. It's already started, as friends who know we're moving back have beeing updating me on the home they gutted and re-sold for over a million dollars, or the movie they are producing while on leave from teaching, or the new sport they've picked up, or the perfectly-located apartment they just found, or the dissertation/book they're about to finish.

Which is why my primary goal on returning to NYC is to retain a little of the Mumbai housewife "koi-baat-nahin-I'm-doing-my-own-thing" attitude through the rat race.

[This, by the way, is the first of 3 posts for today, as I have been offline thanks to internet expiry for the past 2 days, and I have to make up for it.]

1 comment:

F. Zehra Rizvi said...

Oh man. We should have freaking bought that house S showed you three years ago. We could have sold it for big bucks right now...or even better..we could have LIVED THERE!! Damn it. I just ate at a diner on VanBrunt. Very yummy. Called Hook and anchor or something like that.

Ah well. Another missed opp to buy real estate in Red Hook. Two years from now, we will be sitting in the same position, thinking the same thing. My earning capacity will never catch up to NYC real estate prices.

I say we win the lottery.