Saturday, August 19, 2006

Babble

I talked to my father on the phone the other day. In the background he could hear Kishmish and Pista's babbling and screaming noises. They chatter constantly, and each one has her own repertoire of sounds. Pista currently is into la-la-la-la. . . and da-da-da-da. . . . Kishmish, on the other hand, tends to make these drawn out, gravely noises in a voice reminiscent of Rani Mukherjee.

Anyway, my dad was asking me about whose voices he was hearing, and I told him about each girl's unique sounds, and the "words" they were starting to say, and my predictions about who would talk first. It was very much like conversations I had with my parents a few months ago, eagerly watching for a baby to begin crawling or to learn how to stand up.

It's impossible to contextualize my father enough to provide an adequate explanation for why his next comment was so funny to me, so please believe me when I say this was a really great moment. "Yeeeaaahhh," he replied to me, "You just wait and wait for them to start talking. And then once they learn to talk, all you want is for them to shut up."

No comments: