Friday, September 01, 2006

Naps 2

Right now it's early afternoon, and both Pista and Kishmish are napping. They have been napping for nearly 2 hours, a disconcertingly long time for a shared nap.

This happens, rarely, when A. is home, and somewhere around the two-hour mark he'll get worried:

A.: Have they really been sleeping for two hours?
Me: [mean stare]
A.: OK, I know, if they don't sleep then I ask what's wrong with them, and if they do sleep then I ask what's wrong with them.
Me: Uh, yeah. It's taken weeks of no-cry-sleep-solutioning this family to get to this point. Please.
A.: OK.
pause.
A: But still, is this normal?

I shouldn't blame my husband. I've gone into the room where Kishmish is sleeping several times in the past few hours. I've been known to hold a hand over a baby's chest to make sure it's rising and falling; I've felt the deep, deep regret of waking a sleeping baby, as I checked for signs of life.

I just want to add: Kishmish screamed as I was writing this post. By the time I made it to her room (no great accomplishment, as this whole place is about 900 square feet), she was asleep again. Pista's sleeping next to my desk, and she's been whinnying and neighing in her weird sleep.

I'm sorry, but is this normal??

2 comments:

Rahul Singh said...

I dont know anything about kids but i can imagine that your pista and kishmish are real angels, although you may contradict some times when they r in a mood of crying, otherwise you have to agrree with me. anyways i like to read about them and i am reading abt them from quite some time. just a question why r u keep bloging the "how to be a cook" kind of blogs in between your regular blogs.

Anonymous said...

she keeps blogging about ooking because she is a brilliant inventor in the kitchen and some of us across the oceans really miss eating her brilliance so this way she can save us from the same old same old.